Main Menu

Attack of the Snack Monster (And How to Win!)

by Elise Museles

Does this sound familiar?  You eat at noon. Then, you spend the rest of your hectic day at work or rushing from place to place.   By the time dinner rolls around, you’re nearly catatonic. Your blood sugar drops. Your clarity and ability to make basic decisions evaporates. You wander from cupboard to pantry to fridge to cupboard (again), on the hunt for SOMETHING to eat.

The chips talk to you. The box of cereal sings its siren song. Isn’t there some Ben & Jerry’s left? Handfuls of cheese are in your mouth… the crackers are crumbing onto the floor like wood chips at a lumber mill… and you don’t really understand what hit you as you take one hurried bite after another. All you know is that there’s a huge hunger hole inside of you, and you need to fill it NOW.

And then you remember your good intention: cook a healthy meal tonight.

Guilt. More guilt. Tomorrow is another day.

The Snack Monster Strikes Back
The simple secret to beating the Snack Monster at its own game: PLAN MORE!  You really know what to do and you actually think about it, but something gets lost in translation.

Here are 3 more strategies to smarter snacking:

Some of my favorite go-to snacks

Some of my favorite go-to snacks

1. Add ONE superstar snack – One of my favorite concepts is “crowding out.” Instead of focusing on removing ALL less-than-healthy snacks (which can feel like a HUGE task!), add one better choice.  This is the ideal time to get in an extra serving of fruits and veggies. Some of my favorite go-to snacks are as simple as it gets:

• A handful of almonds and a gorgeous green apple
  • A spoonful of nut butter or hummus with crunchy crudités
  • A colorful nutrient-dense smoothie

Once you add a NEW snack you love, there will be less room for more sinister options.

2. Set up a snack “cache” – To make healthier, more nourishing choices, you’ve got to plan ahead. If you work outside your home or are leaving for an extended period of time, throw some trail mix in a bag before you head out the door. Make sure you have frozen berries and plant-based milk (like almond or coconut) in the fridge for smoothies. (Bonus points if you add greens into the mix.) Cut up some veggies in advance for a quick grab and go as you run out.  Having stashes of great snacks available will make it much easier for you to make awesome choices when hunger strikes.

3. Make a distinction between meals & snacks – Performance really does rely on your ability to give your body the fuel and nutrients it needs!  If you find yourself “snacking” through your day instead of sitting down for meals, I warmly invite you to check out the Kale & Chocolate Cookbook, up on the right hand side of this page. It’s free, and you’ll get some great ideas about simple and delicious dishes (and some snacks, too!) that will compliment any meal.

When you pick the right snacks, you put an end to sugar highs and crashing lows. You cut irritable, irrational behavior off at the pass. And you become a calmer, more even-keeled person, who comes home after a full day with grounded energy and a steady mind.

Question of the day: What are some of YOUR favorite snack ideas?
We’d like to know! Post them in the comments below.

13 Responses to Attack of the Snack Monster (And How to Win!)

1. Jennifer March 13, 2012 at 8:25 pm #

Argh, I can definitely relate to this post! I love the idea of the snack cache because it puts temptation out of reach. I have added almonds, dried cranberries and apples to my shopping list for the week! Thanks for the tips as always.

• Elise March 14, 2012 at 6:57 pm #

Hi Jennifer, I love how you are already taking action steps. Please let us know if you discover other satisfying snacks!

2. Kathi March 14, 2012 at 2:25 am #

Great blog – love the suggestions – have passed it on to my family as well.
    Banana with almond butter; handful of almonds and cranberries and soy nuts; celery with almond butter and raisins.

• Elise March 14, 2012 at 7:00 pm #

Thanks, Kathi. You are on it with all those choices:).

3. Jesse March 14, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

Love this post Elise! My favorite healthy snacks are pecans and an orange or tangerine, fresh cut salsa or an avocado with a little sea salt and baked blue corn chips, dried figs (taste like candy), and kale chips!

• Elise March 14, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

Hi Jesse, great snacks! I love dried figs, too, and really like fresh ones when they are in season. I would love to know how you make your kale chips.

• Jesse March 20, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

I bake my kale chips, with a little olive oil drizzled with sea salt and they are delish but they don’t last so you have to eat them all, and I understand it’s healthier to dehydrate them instead if you have that capability (no oil involved in drying) :)

4. Jenny March 14, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Thanks for the info Elise! For some reason, I think cutting up apples into slices and throwing them into a sandwich bag make them more fun to eat as a snack on the go than just carrying around an uncut apple. The other day I tried popcorn sprinkled with salt and curry! It sounds totally crazy but is really delicious and makes for a delicious low calorie, crunchy snack!

• Elise March 14, 2012 at 7:01 pm #

Jenny, the curried sprinkled popcorn sounds delish! I will have to try that.

5. Neck Pain Relief March 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

I think other web site proprietors should take this site as an model, very clean and great user friendly style and design, as well as the content. You’re an expert at this stuff!
    My website is on Back Pain Relief.

6. Elise March 25, 2012 at 1:38 am #

Thanks so much. So many people suffer from back and neck pain, I look forward to reading your website!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Do You Ever Sit Down? - April 5, 2012

[...] Get up 10 minutes earlier to eat breakfast and pack up healthy snacks (see Attack of the Snack Monster Blog Post for inspiration) [...]

2. How Stress Affects More than Your State of Mind. | elephant journal - June 15, 2012

[...] >>Get up 10 minutes earlier to eat breakfast and pack up healthy snacks (see Attack of the Snack Monster Blog Post for inspiration) [...]